How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4079
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now

Hiya, I was wondering whether it is worth booking a

This answer was rated:

Hiya, I was wondering whether it is worth booking a consultation with an endocrinologist about some recent symptoms of mine. I've been to my local GP about them and have not had much luck. I'm experiencing a lot of symptoms relating to cushings, but am not too sure whether to ask for a blood test to check cortisol levels.
Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I've been experiencing a few problems with it recently
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nope, I have no family history of diseases either
Hi. Can you elaborate on your symptoms?
Did you have any blood tests done? Do you have any medical problems?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hiya. I've gained around 1 stone in weight over the past 2-3 months, mainly around the abdomen and thighs, and my upper back for no reason (no change in my diet or exercise) . This also came with a lot of very deep stretch marks that seem to be increasing very quickly all across my hips. I've also been experiencing a lot of anxiety which I have never suffered from, mood swings, headaches nearly everyday, my skin is bruising easily and it takes a noticeably longer amount of time for then to heal. I haven't had any blood tests done yet, and no history of any medical problems.
You are describing many of the symptoms of Cushing syndrome. I think you should be screened for it. A 24 hour urine for cortisol , a blood cortisol level, and and evening saliva cortisol level are the initial tests.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Okay thank you very much. Should I just suggest this to my local GP?
If these levels are high, then further workup is done to see if the over production is primary in the adrenal glands or the pituitary
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Okay thank you! Do I ask my GP to be screened or elsewhere?
Your gp could order these basic screening tests. If they are abnormal, then see an endocrinologist. As more advanced tests are needed.
Have your gp order the screening tests. Tell your gp the tests I suggested.
Hope this helps
I’d appreciate a positive rating with the stars so that I receive feedback and credit.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you so much! I'll do that for you now
Dr. Mark and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you