Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I have become extremely paranoid that my boyfriend is going

I have become extremely paranoid that my boyfriend is going to develop MND at some point in his life I have got it in to my head that he’s definitely going to get it and that it’s a common diease. He has no family history of anything neurological. I would just like someone to try and help reassure me I am extremely worried and I am struggling to stop thinking that he is going to get it please can someone help me
Are you referring to motor neuron disease?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why are you concerned? Is he having any neurological symptoms such as muscle weakness? Ho w old is he?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No well he started twitching at night nearly 2 years ago and I looked on the internet and it came up with MND. He is 32. But I don’t know why I think he is going to develop it I know he hasn’t got it now but I am extremely paranoid that he is going to develop it
First of all MND is rare . ALS presents with twitching but it’s constant 24 hours a day. So he doesn’t have ALS, especially since it’s been two years. And if there’s no muscle weakness he doesn’t have an MND.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ano he doesn’t have it now but I’m extremely sore that he is going to get it I am sat hear crying now thinking that he is definitely going to develop it later on in life
I think he’s fine . He could see a neurologist but I don’t see the need.
He doesn’t have any MND now. They are very rare and there is no diagnostic test to predict who will develop it. There is a rare genetic form of MND. I think you are worrying for nothing.
You have frightened yourself from the internet. There’s nothing that you told me to suggest he has MND or will develop it later. MNDs are very rare.
Does this explanation help?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How rare is this diease and like % wise how likely would it be that he will ever get it in later life am sorry about this
The incidence is 3.9 men per 100,000. That 0.000039%. That’s very very low chance.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
would you say slim to none is that lifetime risk is there anything you can do to lower the risk
Slim to none is his risk factor. There is nothing anyone can do to prevent MND.
He has a greater risk of being hit by lightning or a car then he does for developing MND.
Has this helped?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A little bit so in you personal opinion the chances of him getting it is slim to none over his lifetime and he also has no family history
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’m so sorry about this
slim to none. I understand your concern, but you’ve got yourself unnecessarily worried. Your BF is fine.
Have I eased you worries?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
realistically he will not get it. I can’t seem to get it in my head that he’s not going to get it and that it’s very rare
Exactly as you say. I can send you medical articles that show it’s rare.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please if you would
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1742493/pdf/v078p00513.pdf
Please rate my answers with stars on your screen so I receive feedback and credit. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
slim to none chance of him getting it probably will not get it
Slim to none. MND is very very rare.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thankyou if I have any more questions can I ask you again I will be giving you a 5 star rating out of 100% how sure would you say that he will never get it this is the last one
Sure, if you have more questions feel free to ask. After a day or so JA requires one to start a new post or question. You can ask for me in the new question line.
Statistically, I’m 99.99% certain he won’t develop it.
Please rate me with the stars on your screen. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thankyou so much