Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

Bloated and in pain Assistant: How have you had the pain?

Bloated and in pain
Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: 6 weeks but worse in the past 2 have been seen by a dr and waiting for a scan to check my ovaries it’s constant pain tried drinking fluids and now I’m so bloated it hurts
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

May I ask some quick questions to help me give you the best answer today:

- How old are you?

- Any medical problems or previous surgery?

- Any medications (including contraception, supplements etc)?

- What is your height and weight?

- Do yo smoke?

- Do you drink alcohol?

- When was your last period?

- How regular is your menstrual cycle?

- Please can you describe the symptoms in some more detail for me (particularly where you feel it and if anything makes it better or worse)?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok thankyou

I will be very glad to help you once you have responded to the questions above (sorry there are a lot, but I like to give an accurate and thorough answer).

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sure I’m
32
No medical problems or surgery
The gave me naproxen which isn’t doing anything
Height is 5ft 2
Weight 12.7
Smoke occasionally
Drink at weekends had 2 very heavy sessions just before this started and haven’t drunk since
Last period recorded was 6th Feb I’m sure I had one in March tho.
My periods used to be very irregular then I went onto the pill for years I’ve been off the pill for about 2 years and my periods have been very regular up until now.
Pain started in my left side and I thought I had a urine infection coming due to all the drinking so went to the dr when it hadn’t cleared after 3 weeks he tested my urine and said it’s fine.
So that was 3 weeks ago since then I’ve been very bloated and the pain is everywhere from under my ribs right down to my groin. All different types cramping sharp achey etc. The pain in my left side feels like someone is pinching my side
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have done a pregnancy test and so did the hospital defo not pregnant

Thank you, that’s really helpful.

Please can I ask what your bowel habit is like? Does opening your bowels influence the symptoms in any way?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Haven’t been eating so not going to the toilet that often however yesterday morning it was very loose I haven’t been today

Thank you again.

Possibly a couple of issues going on with both the stomach and the bowel, though I do agree that it is sensible to have a scan the check the ovaries too.

We know that alcohol is highly irritating to the stomach, so I expect this is at least part of the problem and contributing to nausea, loss of appetite and bloating. Various other factors can bring it on/make it worse including nicotine, stress, illness and certain medications (notably Ibuprofen and similar). Avoid or minimise these if possible.

It normally responds very well indeed to effective antacid medication. I recommend obtaining some Esomeprazole 20mg and taking this twice daily for 2 weeks, then once daily for a further 2 weeks. This can be prescribed by your GP or obtained over the counter from the pharmacy without prescription (also online such as this).

I also think that the bowels are probably full and bloated as a secondary effect, but also contributing a lot to the current picture. I would suggest taking a suitable treatment to address this such as Fybogel twice daily for the next 2 weeks. This is also readily available from the pharmacy without prescription.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have ducolax which I took a week ago normally I’m going all day after taking that but this time I only went a little. What foods can I eat to help with the toilet
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I’ve been worrying it’s something serious. And I have a very stressful life to that is probably adding to it

Nuts, seeds, berries, fresh (ideally green) veg. Avoid sugar, high carb and processed foods.

Yes, I am sure that stress will be playing a role too.

In the meantime, you may also get some symptomatic benefit from an antispasmodic such as Buscopan, Mebeverine etc.

Is that okay?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Lovely thankyou so much for your help

You’re very welcome, all the best.