Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have this kind of elongated deep tissues swelling on the

Hi, I have this kind of elongated deep tissues swelling on the left side of my abdomen which is only apparent on my left side, spanning from the lower left side of my abdominal muscles down to near my groin area. I'm getting concerned as it seems to be getting bigger.
Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: I'm not really sure... I noticed it a while back, maybe a month but thought it was a strained muscle. But its shape and length is worsening
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've always been pretty healthy apart from smoking for quite a while

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Consultant with over 15 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

I would like to ask few details regarding your symptoms/question to assist you more efficiently.

What is your age/sex?

Any associated symptoms like nausea? Vomiting? Diarrhea?

Have you lost weight recently?

Is this swelling painful to touch or if you try to hold it?

If you cough forcefully, do you notice an increased bulge of swelling?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
26, male.None of those symptoms.Steady weight.It's a slight twinge pain when a press the affected area. When I lay on my front at night it can also cause slight discomfort.It is quite deep and cannot tell any change when i cough.

Thank you very much.

As per standard guidelines, any new abdominal swelling should be examined and confirmed clinically. Following that it should be identified radiologically in terms of a CT scan to ascertain its origin and further plan of action.

This can be an evolving hernia (defect in abdominal muscle wall), causing the abdominal organs to bulge.

A cancerous growth of tissue from any intra-abdominal organ can also present like this.

Although you do not have any classical symptoms of cancer like weight loss, nausea and vomiting; but still I would be interested to image this area of body to make sure that any thing serious is not missed.

So your next step is to see your doctor and discuss the possibilities I have mentioned for further plan of action.

Its not something urgent to seek medical attention in ER. An outpatient/clinic consultation in a week or two should be fine.

Was it helpful?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your time and helpful advice, I hope it is nothing serious as I am in a foreign country for the next month. If it gets worse in the coming days I shall be certain to seek further medical attention.Best regards,
George.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.