Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am hoping to get a doctors suggestions on an ADHD

Customer Question

hello I am hoping to get a doctors suggestions on an ADHD medication I can switch to as I am allergic to what I am currently taking so that when I meet with my doctor in person I have a suggestion for him is that something you can help with?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I developed a rash that matches the description of the allergic reactions for both methylphenidate (Ritalin) and Dexafetamine, though they did treat my ADHD very well
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no I have no other allergy issues that I can think of
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

There are a number of different options when stimulants are not effective for ADHD or in the people that are allergic to stimulants.

Atomoxetine works by a different mechanism than the stimulants and is chemically distinct, so would not have cross-reactivity for someone allergic to stimulants. There are also certain antidepressants that may help ADHD, such as bupropion or venlafaxine, and can be used for ADHD alone, but are more commonly used when there also is some depression or anxiety.

So, if the only condition is ADHD, you could ask your doctor for atomoxetine. But if you are also having any problems with depression or anxiety, you can discuss the use of bupropion.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.