How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 21675
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

I am hoping to get a doctors suggestions on an ADHD

Customer Question

hello I am hoping to get a doctors suggestions on an ADHD medication I can switch to as I am allergic to what I am currently taking so that when I meet with my doctor in person I have a suggestion for him is that something you can help with?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I developed a rash that matches the description of the allergic reactions for both methylphenidate (Ritalin) and Dexafetamine, though they did treat my ADHD very well
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no I have no other allergy issues that I can think of
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 5 months ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

There are a number of different options when stimulants are not effective for ADHD or in the people that are allergic to stimulants.

Atomoxetine works by a different mechanism than the stimulants and is chemically distinct, so would not have cross-reactivity for someone allergic to stimulants. There are also certain antidepressants that may help ADHD, such as bupropion or venlafaxine, and can be used for ADHD alone, but are more commonly used when there also is some depression or anxiety.

So, if the only condition is ADHD, you could ask your doctor for atomoxetine. But if you are also having any problems with depression or anxiety, you can discuss the use of bupropion.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.