Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

It's been 48 hours since I exercised and my whole back

Customer Question

Hi - It's been 48 hours since I exercised and my whole back around my spine feels immobilised. I cant move without feeling in pain when I sleep, climb stairs or bend forwards. It is extremely stiff and looks swollen. I am usually very flexible in my back so this feels very strange to me
Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: A couple of days. I often had pain in my lower back which went away every now and then. But now my whole back feels immobilised
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing in particular other than incidents with my stomach recently and usual gynaecological problems (PCOS and heavy periods, I am on the pill).
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Have you ever had any problem with your back before now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi - I had lower back pain before but always went away after a while
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
never any pain that made me feel immobilised
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

Well of course I'm concerned about this

You may have ruptured one or more disks in your spine to cause this severe a problem

For now, rest and ibuprofen

But you need to see your doctor as soon as possible for an exam and a spine MRI

Usually this isn't a surgical problem and it responds to physical therapy

Please let me know if you need any more information