Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

April 2017 I had hip revision surgery, it has left me with

April 2017 I had hip revision surgery, it has left me with ‘nerve damage’. It took me 4 months to walk without a frame. I’m still very unsteady, can get around the house and garden without a stick, but can’t walk far without my back caving in, and having to hold on to something, even sit down. I’m 77 but before the op. I was really fit, despite having both hips replaced. Went to the gym and swam 4 days a week. Please tell me I CAN get back to that fitness again, and how long will it take? It is SO frustrating.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: My consultant has finished with me, I’m on my own, no medication. I go to my health club and exercise in the hydro pool 4 mornings, try and swim but leg is too weak to kick properly. Have been thinking about seeing requesting through my GP, but who!?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Can’t say anything ‘confuses’ me, but it’s the not knowing if I’ll ever improve, and get back to reasonable normality again. Steps are a problem, I darn’t travel on a bus or train, which is a huge disadvantage for me. I can drive, but very locally. I just want to know what I’m to expect in the future. Can I improve or is that it for me!!?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: As I said above, nothing is actually “confusing “ me, I want to know whether there will be further improvement in my condition. Should I see my GP and get referred back to my consultant for more info?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: None relating to my nerve problems I only take apixaban and bisoprolol for AF. Not allergic to anything.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: None

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

I’m sorry to hear about this, it sounds really very difficult and frustrating.

I do believe that you can get better again with time. I think that the key is going to be having (further) physiotherapy and will likely take around 3-6m of graduated exercises to regain your strength in the core muscles/leg.

Unless it is thought that a nerve is being trapped (e.g. a slipped disc) that might need an operation, then I don’t think referral to any other speciality clinic would be of benefit to you.

Ask your GP to refer you to Physiotherapy.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks very much. At least I now know there is some hope. I’ll get in touch with my GP and ask if I can’t have more physio. I’m sure once my knee, which is a major problem, feeling like a huge log and very tight, improves, I’ll be a lot happier. Thank you.

You’re very welcome, all the best.

Please let me know if I can help in any other way.