Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I’m 55 and have been on Gabapentin 900mg a day for awhile

Customer Question

I’m 55 and have been on Gabapentin 900mg a day for awhile for fibromyalgia since starting them I have been having problems with my teeth they are crumbling and falling out I’m due to have quite a few removed at hospital is there any connection with Gabapentin I have heard there is
Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: No swellings as such my dentist referred me to hospital to have around 7 teeth out and some of my teeth have broken at the gum edge so I’m having to have them removed too
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a hiatus hernia and bad heartburn for years and am on esomeprazole 40mg
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Consultant with over 15 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

No, this is not related to Gabapentin, as this is not mentioned as a documented side effect of this drug.

I suggest to have a dentist evaluation done to look for other possible causes for this problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been referred by my dentist to the hospital to have around 7 teeth out under sedation what questions should I ask my dentist and hospital about my problem

There are number of reasons for the teeth to undergo crumbling, most common being the faulty enamel of the teeth. Nearly all of them related directly to your teeth (not secondary to any systemic disease or illness).

Your dentist can best decide what kind of tests he need to run on your blood, but you can inform them that this is not related to gabapentin.

Was it helpful?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there any dental clinics that offer free dental implants for people on benefits

Sorry, I am not sure.