wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have problems with my little toenails. They started to

Hi,I have problems with my little toenails. They started to become thicker long time ago but they are now hard to trim. I also feel mild pain for a short period of time. Do you think it is an infection? I also suffer from psoriasis.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

how old are You?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am 32 and I don’t take any medications. I have contact dermatitis on my hands and mild form of psoriasis (small patches) all over my body.

can you upload a picture of the affected toes?

Oops...got em

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

That may be a fungal infection....it is hard to say by just the pictures.

The good news?

A quick visit to a dermatologist, who might want to do a KOH prep, a scraping, a culture and some blood tests, should be able to quickly get to the bottom of the problem.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I didn’t take any steps to prevent spreading as I didn’t think it would be an infection and it has been like this for some time now. Would it spread to my kids? What should I do to prevent it in case it is an fungal infection?

It will not spread to your kids.

Fungal infection in toenails do not spread easily...

Here is a very good article:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/nail-fungus/symptoms-causes/syc-20353294

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am usually walking around barefooted at home that’s why I was concerned about spreading it. What precautions can I take until I see the doctor?

see the article and you will see that it does not spread that way........ :-)

And you will also see how much fun it is to mash the excellent feedback button......

Try it... ;-)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The article doesn’t really explain that part. Anyway thank you Dr. Rick.