Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I need some advice Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about

i need some advice
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: no i have not seen a doctor and i’m currently taking no medication
Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: i do not take any medication and no i am not allergic
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no all clear

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

Please go ahead - how can I help today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my period has been dormant for nearly 3 months now and i am really concerned i may be infertile as i sometimes have smelly poo smell discharge

May I ask some quick questions to help me give you the best answer today:

- How old are you?

- Any medical problems or previous surgery?

- Any medications (including contraception, supplements etc)?

- What is your height and weight?

- What is your menstrual cycle normally like (regularity, cycle duration, period duration/volume/pain)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i’m 18 no medical problems i was taking the combined contraception pill but i stopped over nearly 3 months ago i am 5ft4 and i weight 8st and a half i have never had this problem before my period was always on time or sometimes day late or before and my period would last 5 days i would say and i would just get painful belly aches day before i came on my period

Thank you, that’s really helpful.

How long had you been taking the pill for and is there any particular reason that you stopped it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i was taking it for only 3 months and it was just making my skin terrible and i was always moody when i was on the pill that was the first time i had ever taken the pill

Okay, thank you again.

I don’t think you have anything significant to worry about here and I certainly don’t think this has any bearing whatsoever on your future fertility.

If you feel there is any possibility at all of pregnancy then please do a test. Also I would advise you to see your GP for a pelvic/speculum examination and swabs. They may also check a hormone profile (blood test) and arrange a pelvic ultrasound scan.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do you think it is possible in any way i may have a std and how long does it take for an std to make you infertile

Yes, this is always a possibility when having unprotected sex with a new partner (this is one of the reasons why I recommended swabs to be taken). Usually any effect on fertility would be after severe infection (pelvic inflammatory disease) or a chronic undiagnosed infection present for a number of months.

Is that okay?

Would you like to ask me about anything else?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but i had noticed the odor from last november but it stop then comes back sometimes

There are other, more common reasons for malodorous discharge such as bacterial vaginosis. The investigations advised above will screen for all the possibilities and it will be able to treat things very effectively too.

Does this answer your question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is there any other reason my period has been dormant for 3 months

The menstrual cycle is quite finely tuned and can be disrupted by a number of things that alter the precise hormonal changes that normally take place. These include physical or emotional stresses, hormonal imbalances, ovarian cysts to name a few. Occasionally this does also happen when coming off hormonal contraception, typically resolving itself but sometimes needing a short course of cyclical progesterone to kick-start them once more.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i also never seem to get pregnant through any time of the month

I’m sorry, have you been actively trying to conceive? If so, for how long?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the whole time i came off the pill

I am assuming that you have performed pregnancy test(s) and they have been negative then.

Not conceiving within a period of 3 months is quite normal, especially when your normal menstrual cycle is disrupted as is the case currently.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i’m so worried i’m infertile or have an std

Don’t worry - please read my responses back and I hope they will provide reassurance for you.

Please provide a rating so that I receive credit for the time spent helping you today.

If you have any other questions, I am happy to answer them though.