Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I woke up this morning and carried on as normal but I've

Hi there, I woke up this morning and carried on as normal but I've noticed that I have pins and needles in my left hand when I raise it
Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: If I keep my arm down it's fine. My health has been great no problems. However I do have what appears to be a bite on my little finger of my left hand. I was in Spain last week and I have had it for a week
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, cannot think of anything

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Consultant with over 15 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

I would like to ask few details regarding your symptoms/question to assist you more efficiently.

What is your age?

Any concurrent medical illness like diabetes, hypertension or known cardiac problem?

Do you appreciate any swelling around the wrist?

Are your hand movements at wrist joint pain free?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dr Sohaib. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am 30 years old
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not have any other problems
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No swelling, and no joint pain

The symptoms are suggestive of nerve compression, a condition in which there is abnormal excessive pressure over the nerves anywhere along their pathway.

Usually the sensations of pain, pins and needles, burning in the hand can come due to carpal tunnel syndrome (in which there is compression of nerve at the wrist joint) or due to other systemic diseases like diabetes.

Your symptoms are very recent. It can happen that may be this is related to any abnormal posture and pressure over the hand during sleep which has irritated the nerve. Also, this happens only when you raise the hands; which means there is a postural element (which again signifies that there is abnormal pressure coming over the nerve with change in posture, therefore there are high chances of soft tissue swelling inside the hand).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been working long hours at work this week; what would you advise I do?

At this point, i think you should watchfully observe yourself.

Rest.

Gentle massage of the hand and fore arm.

Anti-inflammatory like Motrin or Aleve for 2-3 days.

This should work. And if it does not, then you have to see your doctor for a detailed neurological examination and possiblly you would need nerve conduction studies to exactly ascertain where is the problem in the nerves.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question. Bonus Always helpful.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Doctor