Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Ravoof, I have problems with my little toenails. They

HelloCustomerI have problems with my little toenails. They started to become thicker long time ago but they are now hard to trim. I also feel mild pain for a short period of time. Do you think it is a fungal infection? I also suffer from psoriasis.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

There is a possibility of an infection. However, the possibility is low and it is more likely that the symptoms that you are having are due to skin dryness and cutting the nails more deeply and more frequently than recommended.

https://www.webmd.com/beauty/news/20141017/nail-trimming-problems

Please avoid cutting and trimming the nails for 2 weeks and after that, you should trim them only once weekly and not so deep. The trimming should just be sufficient to avoid a nail injury and not very deep. This will heal by itself in a few weeks without causing any complications. Also, apply moisturizer around the nails 3 to 4 times a day and before sleeping to make this location soft and to avoid dryness.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don’t trim my toe nails very often but my little toenails tend to grow inwards that’s why I was finding it difficult to cut them and may have been cutting them too deep. When should see a doctor about the possibility of an infection? And how can I stop spreading it to others if it is an fungal infection? I have 2 kids and wouldn’t want to spread it to them but I didn’t take any precautions till now.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

I completely understand. This infection in the toes is not spread to others. This is only limited to your toes and will not spread to even other parts of your body. You can safely relax. Avoid cutting deep even if you cut infrequently. If they grow inwards just trim sufficiently to prevent this from happening and not so deep. Please see the below video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISiqhWGK_DM

If the toenails continue to remain the same even after moisturizer treatment and allowing them to grow for another month or if they continue to worsen then you should see your doctor.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so muchCustomer You are very understanding (as a mother with anxiety problems I need it) and your answers are very helpful.

You are very welcome!
Thank you so much!!