Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My question is why doctors don't recommend Mri\pet scan

Hello There,
my question is why doctors don't recommend Mri\pet scan after breast cancer treatments?
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. They do. Pet scan and combined pet/ct scans are recommended in some instances. Below is an excerpt that explains it. It is from breastcancer.org.
PET scans are not used to screen women for breast cancer. The test has only a limited ability to detect small tumors. PET scans can be useful for evaluating people after breast cancer has already been diagnosed, in a number of different ways:to determine whether the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes
to determine whether the cancer has spread to other parts of the body, and if so, where (metastatic breast cancer)
to assess whether metastatic breast cancer is responding to treatment
PET scans are available in only very few centers, and they are an expensive, sophisticated test that requires special expertise. Generally, they are used only if your doctor has reason to believe that the cancer may have spread beyond the breast. They also may be used if your doctor suspects recurrence of a previous breast cancer. PET scans can be helpful if other tests can’t tell for sure whether the cancer has spread beyond the breast or to other areas of the body.