DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

If pulled away a skin growth I now think could have been

If pulled away a skin growth I now think could have been dangerous, if it was cancer will it grow back on the skin or could it spread without me knowing?

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

No, In that case it would grow back first so keep monitoring.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it not possible that it would just stay under the skin where I can’t see it?

No, it is not likely.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But it’s possible?

It is possible but highly unlikely to spread like that.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If it did though there wouldn’t be any signs until it was advanced, right?

There would be some sign like hard area or ulcer would form in the area.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Isn’t it possible that nothing would happen, it would all just stay under the skin?

Not possible.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you absolutely certain It’s completely impossible? Something would have to present itself on the skin where I could see? Sorry I just really need to know

I am opting out so that another expert can help you in a better way.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Why?

If original growth had already spread by blood before removal, the seeding may remain dormant at distant place some time and grow later so monitor whole body for secondary growth. At same place a growth underneath skin is possible but will show up as nodule with normal skin over it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This was the growth, do you think it could be dangerous?

looks like infected hair root. Not usual figure of anything cancerous.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was there for weeks and had no pus or fluid inside. Just some brown or the part that I pulled off. Does that sound normal? I was a bit concerned about Basel cell because I heard sometimes that looks like a pimple that doesn’t go away
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is another photo of it a few weeks before

No basal cell carcinoma in no time forms an ulcer that eats away surrounding normal skin. Just some sebaceous cyst like structure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was only maybe 4 weeks I noticed it being there. Could it not be an early one?
Also, is it true that a skin biopsy can spread cancer cells to other areas of the body?

Any cancer spreads locally at very early stage - like feet of a crab, hence the name. If you could remove original lesion without bleeding and disfigurement, it was not spreading.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It did bleed just not a lot
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This was a few days later
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The red mark under the hair aha

No it was just minor blemish and has healed almost totally. Cancer lesion will never heal so fast.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It didn’t fully heal, just over a week later I got it biopsied to check (no results yet) but I later was told that if there was any cancer cells then the biopsy could make them spread through blood or lymph system

Yes a surgical procedure with knife can do that. It has to be total wide excision and biopsy.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was a punch biopsy but it got rid of the area where it was as the area was small. Does this mean its safe?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He injected the areas first though so I’m worried it would have still spread from the needle cutting through cells just before it was removed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Area*
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please are you around?

Sorry was away. Yes needle puncture could be miniscule risk. Punch biopsy would not be as traumatic as scalpel one. Please give a positive rating for chat so far and then we may continue on your queries.

DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience: MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If it was Basel cell can that spread around body after biopsy?
I’m waiting for results but fear they could be wrong
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also, the biopsy was done a week after the lesion was pulled off, could this make the biopsy result miss cancer?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I mean, if there were cancerous cells in there (that could be spread by needle/biopsy) will those cells definitely show up in the biopsy so I’ll know they’re there? Or could it being left a week make them look different and be missed
Depends on how virulent. Some 50% chance.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
50% chance they’ll miss cancer cells if they’re in the sample? It was definitely done in the right place
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It’s come back saying it was a hair follicle but could there have been cancer cells as well that they didn’t see?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That’s how much of the top of the skin that I picked off. Surely that’s not enough to get rid of the cells?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know they can miss cells if biopsy isn’t in right place but if they’re definitely in there, surely they’ll see on punch biopsy?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please reply as soon as possible
May not be. But our immune system can also help eliminate such cells.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If there were cancer cells in that skin, that particular bit they looked at, they’d see them though surely?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if a few cells do escape during biopsy, the body will kill them off?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, what did you mean by May not be?
There is never any guarantee in medical field
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But what did you mean by May not be? And where did the 50% come from?
If biopsy sample is preserved in proper medium the cells will be seen and identified. Does not mean all are removed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh I’m not concerned about them all being taken away, just that I’d know if they were there

Id of cells no problem. If cancer like cells preserved with proper medium, they will be surely seen and identified.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The doctor put the sample right into the tub of liquid stuff it needs to be in

Yes the cells will remain intact and identifiable indefinitely in proper preservative fluid.