wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have had a 2nd degree burn covering 7% of the skin surface

Customer Question

I have had a 2nd degree burn covering 7% of the skin surface area treated at Kingston Hospital yesterday. A Jelonet dressing was applied and I was advised to have it changed in 48 hours (tomorrow evening). Unfortunately it is oozing quite considerably. Should I just ignore this, put another dressing on top to absorb the moisture or what? Thank you.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: No. The burn was caused by my shirt catching fire from a lighted candle.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 5 months ago.

It is normal to ooze.

Just leave it alone.

If you think it might, however, be infected then it wouldn't hurt to call your burn team to see what they have to say since they know your situation best.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS