Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Returned from holiday on 5 hour flight. Had a stuffy nose on

Returned from holiday on 5 hour flight. Had a stuffy nose on flight. Pain on descent was immense and ears painful. Went to doctor 3 days later when little improvement. He said there was fluid in inner ears which would clear with a decongestant. Slight improvement. Returned to doctor 3 weeks later...he said fluid was gone and to have dental check. Dental check was all clear. Now 8 weeks since flight....left side of face feels a little numb and tender around the ear and I often feel a bit of a headache on that side. Went to see GP today....he said he doesn't know and gave me amoxicillin...also said there's some fluid in the ear ????
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: 8 weeks...no
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

What else you are using besides amoxicillin?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Clarityn for hayfever and i take 10mg ramipril for hypertension

Please wait, I am typing an answer and it may take 10 minutes to write a detailed answer. In the meantime, if you have any specific question, please let me know. Regards

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. I am an ENT and Head & Neck specialist and I would like to reassure you first that there is no need to be stressed. You basically got the blockade of your tube that connects the nose and ears. Secondary to that your sinuses started blocking and your current symptoms are due to that ongoing sinus infection. Amoxicillin many a time doesn't work for such infections. Don't worry; I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you can start with over the counter available;

1. Tablet Aleve 500 mg twice daily for 5 days

2. steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily for 2 weeks

3. Nasacort nasal spray 2 puffs twice daily for 4 weeks (if available over the counter in your area)

Later you should ask your GP to refer you to an ENT specialist and he will evaluate further. Even your GP can start you on Clarithromycin antibiotics which really works well in such a situation. By doing that you are going to be alright. You should follow the rest of my suggestions as well. I reassure you that there is nothing serious and you are going to be alright. This is just a matter of getting the right antibiotic and the rest of the suggestions. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. A 5-star rating is requested and will be appreciated. Regards