Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

My wife has atrial fibrillation. She was put on digoxin and

My wife has atrial fibrillation. She was put on digoxin and an anticoagulant. She felt awful. Off digoxin an temporarily off blood thinners. She gets numbness in her lower leg and foot
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: it occurs at night usually and wakes her so no sleep. Sometimes accompanied by muscle cramp. There has been some oedema and she has taken furozamide. That didn't stop the numbness
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: she is 82 and otherwise fit and walks the dogs evert day, twice
Hi, furosemide is well known to cause muscle cramps due to low Potassium, is she taking any potassium supplements?
I would recommend blood test for potassium levels and Vitamin D to find out the cause of muscle cramps,
Please remember to leave a positive rating if you found the answer helpful as this is the only way we are compensated for the time and effort spent answering your question,
You can always get back for any clarifications even after rating me,
Warm regards
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she took sodium and potassium as liquid to compensate. It's her numbness in the lower leg which is most concern. Never got this before she started any medication