Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I have severe fibromyalgia. My current meds are not giving

I have severe fibromyalgia. My current meds are not giving me much pain relief. The worst pain wakes me up at night it is so severe. I can never get a doctor to make a plan for me. They usually wait for me to suggest something. I feel like my whole pain management needs overhauling!
Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Ok...bear with me. Am I take 100mg tramadol, 150mg pregabalin, 1g paracetamol....same at midday. 6pm I take 60mg codeine, 150mg pregabalin. Nighttime 30mg codeine. Diazepam prn for flare ups.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Have had fibro 16 yes. Diagnosed coeliac 6ys ?? Chronic fatigue. My mum and youngest daughter have it too
Have you tried cymbalta or Savella?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure what the brand names are ***** ***** drugs but I don't think so
Duloxetine and milnacipran are the generic names for the two meds I mentioned above. We use them in the states for fibromyalgia. Often in combination with the meds you listed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The doc I saw at the pain clinic suggested fluoxetine but told me I would have to come off all the tramadol first. I tried over 2 years but the withdrawals/increased fibro pain were intolerable.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Duloxetine...sorry predictive texting!
Initial treatment we use in the states is either with duloxetine or milnacipran. It’s definitely worth trying one of them. We use them in the morning.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. All I can do is try and talk to the GP. The trouble is over here the GPs take all their advice from the hospital consultants. What would you suggest I do in the meantime for the nighttime pain. I tried increasing the codeine but that did nothing and tramadol stops me sleeping anyway. Docs over here won't prescribe sleeping tablets.
Ask you gp to start one of these meds. The pregabalin dose could be increased at night. And or seroquel for sleep. That’s by prescription. Have you tried Benadryl for sleep? It’s otc.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I hadn't thought of Benadryl...that's a good idea. I'll talk to my gp about the other two...if I can get an appointment this year that is!! Thanks for your advice Dr Mark and God bless.
Best of luck. Feel better.
Please rate my answers with the stars on your screen so I receive feedback and credit for my work. Thanks