Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had sex with an ex partner last year who had undetectable

Hi, I had sex with an ex partner last year who had undetectable hiv, we didn’t use protection, but he said his viral load was at a stage where it couldn’t be passed on, he had been on art for over 6 years, it’s been a year exactly since we did, and I got tested in the February of this year for hiv using the finger prick test, and the results came back as negative, does this mean for sure thy I cannot have the virus? It’s bothered me for sowm
Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this?
Customer: some
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: time*
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry for the typos.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Yes, this would be considered conclusive that you do not have HIV.

Your ex partner is correct about the absence of risk when the viral load is undetectable. There are several ongoing studies of couples in which one partner is infected and has an undetectable viral load and the couple has regular sexual intercourse and there has not yet been a single case of transmission of HIV to the uninfected partner.

And to whatever extent you might be concerned that the partner was not honest with you and there was some risk, a negative test done 6 months after the last sexual activity would be conclusive that you do not have HIV. And the finger prick blood test has excellent agreement with tests done on blood drawn from a vein, so is reliable.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.