Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My son is on ranitidine 1.3 daily but has had a large weight

My son is on ranitidine 1.3 daily but has had a large weight gain. The ranitidine doesn’t seem to be working and longer. Do I ask for a change of medicine?
Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: He takes ranitidine and gaviscon with infant formula neocate. Not allergic to medication that we know
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He is allergic to milk protein, egg, soya, celery and has skin reaction to tomatoes and onion

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

How old is your son?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My son is 10.5 months and weighs 12.52kg or 37lb
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
27lb

Please wait, I am typing an answer.

I am sorry, one more question. Why ranitidine was started?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He suffers with silent reflux and he was tried on gaviscon to thicken his milk to see if that helped but didn’t help at all, so the hospital suggested the doctor starts ranitidine

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Weight gain has nothing to do with the ranitidine. It is not a side effect of ranitidine. If ranitidine is not controlling the symptoms of reflux then they can change the medicine and can investigate further for the cause but changing ranitidine will not affect his weight. He should be investigated for the weight gain. He should see a pediatric gastroenterologist for his symptoms. I wish him good luck and that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. A 5-star rating is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how much ranitidine should he be taking as I know dosage is based on weight of the child?

It's 5 to 10 mg/kg. In his case the maximum dose is 125 mg in two divided doses. So it should be 4 ml twice daily.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your help.

You are most welcome. My best wishes and prayers will be following him for good health. Please remember to rate my answer as this is how we get compensated for our time and effort here for you. A 5-star rating is requested and will be appreciated. Regards