Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My daughter had an abortion at the end of March. She also

My daughter had an abortion at the end of March. She also had an implant in her arm for contraception. She didn't have a period for more than six weeks and since then she has had and almost constant discharge with very few days of no bleeding since the start of May. Marie Stopes have not been much help and we are in the process of changing our GP as our usual doctor has retired. I think she just wants to know if this is normal or can happen in certain circumstances and whether it is to do with the procedure or the implant. I did say it might take a few months to sort itself out. Should she be worried? I will pay for a private consultation if necessary. She has just started a new job and can't take time off work during the week. Should she be worried about this problem or just give it more time?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: It's mu daughter not me. No it's not painful but she hasn't had a regular cycle since the procedure at the end of March.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not that I am aware

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today.

What is her age?

Do you know which implant she has?

Does she have any additional symptoms like pain or cramps in the lower abdomen, nausea, etc.?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she is 19. Not that I am aware of
I am not sure which implant it is but is should last for 2 years and is about an inch long in her arm
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Typing is fine

Thank you for your response.

Alright, so it can take 3 months for the cycle to regulate itself after an abortion and when a contraceptive implant is placed it is common to have irregular periods or spotting and sometimes, no period at all for 6 months. As long as she does not have any other symptoms, she should be fine. So, in her case, both the abortion and the implant have contributed to the current situation. The implant more so than the abortion.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What other symptoms should she be aware of?

Lower abdominal cramps, foul-smelling discharge from the vagina, fever and back pain.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you... I;ll check but I donn't think so. Thank you for your help.

Glad I could assist.

Take good care and please do leave a 5-star rating for the service.

Best wishes.