How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bob Your Own Question
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6825
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Bob is online now

Assistant: How can I help? I’ve got a swollen eye. Redness

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I’ve got a swollen eye. Redness and inflammation. Also getting yellow colour crust from inner part of my eye lids
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eyelid swollen at all?
Customer: Yeh it is swollen
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Since past 5 days now

Hello. Swelling, redness and yellow crusting usually point to an ocular infection (conjunctivitis). Is this affecting your vision at all? Are you experiencing pain?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sometimes it’s blurry. And yeh, got a pain too
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I won’t be able to talk right now
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can I get any suggestions right over here ?

A phone call is not necessary. That's a computer generated offer. As far as your infection is concerned, the two main issues would be if it was causing pain or visual problems. These might indicate a deeper infection. It's important that you keep the eyes as clean as possible. You might need to use sterile water to cut down on the sting from tap water. Also you need to keep your hands clean. Try not to touch the eyes other than rinsing them and wash the hands immediately after touching the eyes to make sure you don't transmit the infection to others.

If you wear contacts, leave them out until the infection clears.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What are the remedies I should go for? As in any specific eye drops that I can buy over the counter without a prescription?

Make an appointment to see your primary care doctor or optometrist as soon as possible to have the eyes examined closely. If things worsen in the meantime in terms of pain or visual disturbances of any kind, be sure to go to urgent care or the ER right away for prompt treatment. Your vision is too important to take any chances!

There are artificial tears and ocular antihistamines (e.g. ketotifen, naphazoline) that can be used to rinse the eyes and cut down on redness and crusting and itching, but these do not treat an infection directly.

A viral infection cannot be treated anyway. It has to run its course, which can take days to weeks. A bacterial infection should be treated promptly. The only way to distinguish between the two is to see a doctor and have the eyes swabbed.

Dr. Bob and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you doctor

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best.