Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My partner heard a "pop" in his head, he became dizzy and

Customer Question

my partner heard a "pop" in his head, he became dizzy and fell he also suffered blurred vision for around 10 minutes
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long has your partner had dizziness? Has he used any medication for it?
Customer: he hasnt had dizziness before therefore no medication. he is not taking medication of any kind
JA: Has he seen a doctor about dizziness?
Customer: it only happened late last night
JA: Anything else in his medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 days ago.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
this was yesterday evening, he is fine today with no lasting effects

This is called syncope. Following investigations would be needed to identify the cause;

1) MRI with gadolinium contrast

2) Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA)

3) Tilt table test

4) Carotid sinus massage

5) Electroencephalography (EEG)

6) Stress cardiac test

7) Total creatine kinase (CK) and heart enzymes

8) Blood electrolytes and blood glucose.

These should be able to zero down the cause.

He should be evaluated for the following which are the commonest cause for sudden fall or syncope;

1) bradyarrhythmias; this is the sudden slowing of the heart. it is mainly due to sinus and atrial node dysfunctions. Sick sinus syndrome is a prototype of these arrhythmias and is a major cause for syncope. 24 hour Holter monitoring, echocardiography etc are the investigations done for it.

2) neurocardiogenic mechanisms; this is the fall of the blood pressure suddenly due to a sudden sympathetic failure (failure of the autonomic nervous system).

3) carotid hypersensitivity syndrome is an exaggerated response to carotid sinus stimulation. In some studies, almost 50% cognitively normal people who had experienced non-accidental fall were diagnosed with carotid hypersensitivity.

4) orthostatic hypotension is due to failure of the autonomic nervous system and related heart regulatory mechanisms.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Please consider a 5-star/positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.I

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.