Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

My brother is living in Greece. Today he is undergoing an

Customer Question

My brother is living in Greece. Today he is undergoing an operation in Athens to correct a hip replacement. The cost of the operation is £12,000. He has a NHS number. I can find lots of information on visitors to this country but nothing about ex-pats. I am providing costs. Is there any provision for me to recover my money. Help!
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. Has your brother discussed the operation with a doctor?
Customer: Not in UK.
JA: Has he seen a doctor about this?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else in his medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: The medical advice is available to the Greek doctors. He has been living there for some years. The hip replacement was done in Greece.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Are you asking if the NHS will fund the cost of an operation that was performed abroad?