DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

I am having a lot of trouble with sleeping Assistant: Have

Customer Question

I am having a lot of trouble with sleeping
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes I have. I was prescribed Zopiclone 15mg but decided to get off it
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Haven’t had any Zopiclone for 6weeks. I have ASD, ADHD and severe anxiety disorder and take diazepam, sertraline and Methylphenidate
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I got diagnosed at the age of 17. I am 22 now but ever since I stopped taking my Zopiclone I have had huge trouble with sleep and anxiety with a bit of depression and a lot of stress
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I’m self harming now
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** your query, will be replying in few seconds please. DrVasavada

Sleep is induced by brain hormone called melatonin. One can take it as tablet also so get prescription for the same.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Moderate Interaction occurs with the use of Melatonin and Diazepam. I am currently prescribed 30mg of Diazepam in 24 hours. What dose of Melatonin do you think is appropriate? Thanks for getting back to me.

You are welcome. Start with low dose of 3 mg. May raise if needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, lastly, could you kindly tell me the pros of Melatonin vs Zopiclone. I was prescribed 15mg of Zopiclone for 18 months but decided myself to titrate the dose down to zero milligrams with my doctors help. This is quite a recent thing being without Zopiclone and now I find it very very hard to get to sleep assuming that it’s due to the absence of Zopiclone
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Best regards

Melatonin is natural hormone formed in body and has no risk of habit formation. Other one is chemical synthetic one, may cause habit.