DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I have had mussle pain for a few weeks in lower

i have had mussle pain for a few weeks in lower back,buttocks, rear hamstring and, in particular, my calfs, not as a result of any strenuous activity.
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No recent injuries. Pain only occurs when moving. Even small impact eg walking down stairs, causes it . Nothing when stationary. I had heart bypass 4 years ago and have diabetes, neither of which cause n=me any issues.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: About 12 years ago was bitten by something while on holiday in Mauritius which caused liver issues picked up some 4 weeks after bite during routine blood pressure check. Not aware of any current issues.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm a Consultant Rheumatologist and I am reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

How old are you ?

Are you on any medicines?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I am 64.I take medication for diabetes, high blood pressure, gout as well as low dose statin and asprin .
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Can't at present since I am at work. Just need to know if potentially serious or could some magnesium help.

Thanks for the details

There are few possibilities to consider

One is the symptoms being due to side effects of the drugs

Statins are notorious in causing myopathy and myalgias

Second possibility since you have a history of heart disease is a possibility of pain due to intermittent cladication

Thirdly it can be due to spinal problem like spinal stenosis

You need to have an examination and have some baseline tests including tests for muscle enzymes

Then if that is normal then you will require a Doppler ultrasound to check blood supply of the lower limb muscles and finally if that is normal then finally you will require an MRI lumbosacral spine

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Wow. Food for thought. Re the statins, I have been on them for 4 years and problem only presented itself recently.
Regards,
Tom.

Yes it can cause such problem at any time during the course of its use

It is not always that it cause a muscle problem only when you start taking it

If done please leave a 5-stars rating to give me credit for my service

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Will do, Thanks.

You are welcome