Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am really concerned. My mum woke up the other day with a

I am really concerned. My mum woke up the other day with a headache and I believe slight nauseous. She was confused and didn’t know what days it was and kept repeating things. I am worried she may have had a mini stroke? She won’t go to the doctors. She still has a slightly fuzzy head but is generally better now. Am I being overtly concerned?
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about the stroke?
Customer: No because she won’t go to the doctors as she thinks it isn’t a mini stroke
JA: What did you discuss at your last visit to the doctor?
Customer: It is not me it is my mother I am talking about
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Heart issues

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Has this ever happened to your mum before?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I think she has been delirious at times
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
She is saying it isn’t a mini stroke and that it was probably because she woke up quickly
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
But does that explain the confusion, not knowing what day it was and headache?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
she says now her head feels slightly fuzzy

It might have been a migraine headache with an aura but I would say it was a transient ischemic attack and by definition those symptoms resolve in less than 24 hours

That's a threatened stroke but she isn't in the clear now

I understand she doesn't think she needs to see a doctor but you need to convince here she does

She needs and exam, a cardiac evaluation and a ct scan of the brain just as soon as possible

With proper treatment a TIA doesn't have to become a stroke

Please let me know if you need any more information