Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have a churning stomach constantly. It makes me feel

I have a churning stomach constantly. It makes me feel starving hungry but sick at the same time. I feel bloated (especially at the top half of my stomach) and sore. I'm not anxious or stressed. I'm on a gluten, dairy, fat and sugar free diet. I don't eat acid trigger foods and am on ppis. Passing gas relieves the pain very briefly. I also feel full quickly. What actually is happening as I have never found a diet or medicine to help and I am miserable
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: For 13 years and no, I can't find a connection to anything. Although I notice them more when I am tired but I think that's because they stop me sleeping and make me tired
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no

What are your age and gender?

What are the investigations done for your symptoms?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am 33 and female. I have had endoscopies (which found a small sliding hiatus hernia), colonoscopy, felxible sigmoidoscopy, CT scan, MRI scan, H Pylori test, had my gallbladder check, barium swallow, bravo PH test, stool sample test. I think that is it

Thanks for the additional information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your symptoms are suggestive of Gastroparesis, which is a slow emptying stomach.

A stomach emptying time is the investigation which will confirm the diagnosis.

Gastroparesis or slow emptying stomach needs a very comprehensive management regime. Judicious and persistent intervention by various measures should be able to control the symptoms quite nicely. Following is the management plan. If the initial conservative plan does not help, surgical intervention should be considered.

1) nutritional modifications,

a) multiple small meals,

b) favor liquids over solids,

c) avoiding indigestible solids,

d) consuming low-fat meals

2) medications to stimulate gastric emptying,

a) metoclopramide,

b) erythromycin,

c) domperidone,

d) phenothiazines (prochlorperazine, thiethylperazine),

e) Ginger

f) Acupressure

g) Nitrates, buspirone, sumatriptan

3) endoscopic and surgical approaches,

a) Injection of botulinum toxin

b) gastric electrical stimulator implantation

c) surgical pyloroplasty

4) psychological interventions

a) treatment of anxiety and depression

b) biofeedback and/or hypnosis

So a comprehensive approach is essential for controlling the symptoms and various specialists like a gastroenterologist, primary care physician, psychologist, etc would be needed to work in cohesiveness to get the optimal outcome.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. May I ask what it is about my symptoms that suggests gastroparesis? I do occasionally get diarrhoea so surely I wouldn't get that if it was the case? In fact, sometimes it feels like my digestive system is on hyperdrive and going too fast. It's like my colon and rest of my bowls are constantly spasming
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Also, the barium swallow would have shown that surely?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I also get undigested food in my stool sometimes

A barium swallow may not show it.

Intestinal motility disorder can cause diarrhea.

The previous medical imaging had not shown anything so there is no likelihood of anatomical issue.

Gastroparesis is a functional issue.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
thank you

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.