Caring doc
Caring doc, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist. MBBS,MD
25020506

I seem to be gagging when I eat and wondered if The gagging

hi I seem to be gagging when I eat and wondered if The gagging reflex can be turned off?
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes and he prescribed stemetil that I thought were working but not now
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Yes I have an umbilical hernia that is getting worse
Hi. I am caring doc.I will help you today.Can you tell me your age?Is there any history of acid reflux ??how long are you having these symptoms for?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi , I am 66 years old and I do take lansoprazole at 15 mg twice a day and have taken them for years
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Sorry I have had the problem for two weeks

Hi.Sorry for the delay.My system was not letting me to respond.Can you tell me if there is any difficulty in swallowing the food?Do you feel the food coming back in your mouth?acidity and burning in chest?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No not at all , it’s just that I start to eat and on my last mouthful or two I start to gag , I am never actually sick and wondered if my umbilical hernia which as late has got more pronounced is possibly the cause , hope you get this and tha it makes sense.

when did you see a GI doctor last?did he do an endoscopy?

umbilical hernia is not usually associated with gagging.there can be esophageal issues that are usually associated with gagging.These include GERD,Esophageal spasms or strictures.this can also be due to some serious underlying pathology.I Would suggest you to see you GI docotor.He may do your endoscopy to see what is going on.

I hope i was able to help you.Please feel free to ask any question if you have.If you are satisfied please hit ACCEPT icon.Thanks alot