DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I did an health screening and it came back with raised ALT

Hi, I did an health screening and it came back with raised ALT on the liver function test (120 IU/L) GGT, ALP, Albumin, Globulin and bilirubin all came back as normal. Only other abnormal observations were ferritin was high (484 ug/l) and CRP and cholesterol were very slightly raised. Is the liver test and ferritin something I should be concerned about?
Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Hi, my health is good. My mom has heart failure at 58 and history of heart disease for her parents (heart attack’s / strokes). I exercise a lot (albeit not for the two weeks before this test) and my resting heart rate is low 60s and blood pressure is normal
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I’m 38, 6’1”. 240lbs, but I weight train a lot but maybe two stone overweight from my ideal. No medication or existing conditions. I drink alcohol and eat a lot of meat if that’s relevant!

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks Doctor
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I’d prefer to write / text for privacy reasons at home

Your ALT is high and so are were Ferritin,CRP and cholesterol

There could be two main reasons for this

One could be a fatty liver which can be responsible for all these abnormalities

Your weight is definitely contributing towards it

Secondly it could be alcohol related

You need to have an ultrasound or fibroscan to see how much your liver is affected

Reducing weight and avoiding alcohol will help

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks. If it was alcohol related would that not mean that other test indicators would also be raised? Are the ferritin and ALT directly connected then? And would losing weight be the best course of action to reduce these short term and then retake the test? Could anything else cause a one off false reading? I went for a four mile walk immediately before taking the finger prick test, would this have affected results? Thanks

Well alcohol can affect these results

But these are more in favor of a fatty liver

It is unlikely to be false on so many fronts

I would have an ultrasound and see your liver first

If that is normal then a repeat test after 4 weeks can be helpful

Weight reduction will definitely help

If done please leave a 5-stars rating to give me credit for my service