How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 53679
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I wanted to ask a general question about chest pain?

This answer was rated:

Hi there I wanted to ask a general question about chest pain?
Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: Yes I've dealt with this before and no I don't have any shortness of breath
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've been diagnosed with Costcochondritis and all I've been advised to do is rest but I wanted to know if there are any other things I can do to get rid of the pain.

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
How long have you had the costochondritis?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
4 years

And you've never gotten any treatment or therapy for it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've never been given any treatment or therapy. I have just been advised to take anti inflammatory pain killers but they haven't been working for the past 3 days straight.

Just to be sure--how do you know for certain it's costochondritis?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The doctors that I have seen and all said they've felt a tenderness around my rib cage. I've been for several ECG's, X rays and had blood tests. Those tests have come up negative but whenever they press on the lower ribs I normally feel a lot of pain and discomfort from it and they always say that's Costcochondritis

Just needed to check

My suggestion is that you see a sports medicine/rehabilitation MD specialist to treat it

That would include physical therapy, acupuncture, ultrasound and possibly cortisone injections into the inflamed cartilage

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No that's good thank you for your help today

My pleasure

Please remember to rate my service to you

Dr. Chip and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you