DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

I had a cold sore and was generally run down. During that

Customer Question

I had a cold sore and was generally run down.During that time, the inside of my right ear became very itchy, a few times I made the mistake of itching it and then I couldn’t stop itching it!It got so itchy it kept me up at night.I managed to stop but from there it started to become really dry and I’d get loose skin in it.I started to use ‘ear cleaning spray’ about 3-4 times a day for maybe 2-3 days.I also noticed that around this time I had started to have baths where my ears would go under the water for a bit.My right ear started to become blocked.And it was still really itchy at times.I Googled it and put a small amount of hydrocortisone cream in at times for 2 days, hoping to get rid of the itching.I’ve now found that the right ear is very blocked.I got a doctor's appointment and he gave me antibiotic drops and tablets.I started with the drops but they made my hearing worse.Now I am just using the tablets.But I still can’t hear out of my right ear and it is itchy.I have used a little bit of olive oil in the ear to keep it moist and stop the skin from drying but I don’t want to put too much in there, because it seems to get clogged.I’d like to hear out of my right ear as soon as possible!What do you suggest I do please?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 8 days ago.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the sooner the better though please, thanks.
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 8 days ago.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** your query, will be replying in few seconds please. DrVasavada

Expert:  DrVasavada replied 8 days ago.

Your ear canal block could be due to fungus and wax. Please use clotrimazole lotion to instill several times a day and before that, try to dissolve wax by instilling methylated spirit and/or keroscene oil, one ml using disposable syringe without needle, one ml. Keep the blocked ear upside and after 5 minutes drain out sucking with emptied syringe. After cleansing physical block, put 2-3 drops of clotrimazole lotion 3-4 times few days and see.

Expert:  DrVasavada replied 2 day ago.

If block is due to secretion in middle ear behind drum, then use nasal decongestant drops every 5-6 hours on that side of nose.

Customer: replied 17 hours ago.
Hi, apologies I didn't realise we could continue a conversation.

Thanks for your response.

The GP Dr sent me to A&E last Thursday where they syringed my ear and gave me Ciloxan drops to use twice a day.

I have been doing this but there has been very little improvement. Although I can hear now because the wax and dry skin has been cleared.

I am wary of using clotrimazole lotion, in case it blocks my ear again.

I didn't have methylated spirit but I did have Hyrdorgen Peroxide, so I have used that last week in both ears.

I have been resisting from itching it but it is very difficult to do and unfortunately this morning, I started scratching and now it seems to be reacting and lots of fluid is building up inside the ear, so my hearing is blocked again.

I have just filled it with cotton wool to soak up the fluid and I will now do my best not to itch it any more!

I tried to return to my GP today but couldn't get an appointment.

I plan to try again tomorrow.

In the mean-time, it would be good if you could offer some more advice. My plan from here is to stop itching it and keep using the Ciloxan drops...but I do still have the Sofradex drops, which I haven't tried since the ear has been cleared, so I am considering using these instead. What do you think?
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 14 hours ago.

Yes you can use sofradex for 3-4 days and see. Clotrimazole will not clog ear again. Oral cetirizin will also prevent itching.

Customer: replied 14 hours ago.
But my ear is now full of fluid, so I can't hear. Any advice on that?
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 10 hours ago.

As I wrote, if ear block is due to secretion in middle ear behind drum, then use nasal decongestant drops every 5-6 hours on that side of nose.

Customer: replied 4 hours ago.
Okay, I have Vicks First Defence, is that okay for Nasal Congestant? Or would you recommend another?

Just to update you, I saw the doctor again and he confirmed that it is Otitis Media, we agreed the best course of action would be to return to the Sofradex because it has an anti-inflammatory in it and may help to get my hearing back.

But I am struggling with this because the Sofradex is a thicker fluid so when I did put drops in, it felt blocked straight away. I'm wary of putting more in because I believe it will congest the ear even more.

The Dr explained that the lack of hearing is because the eustachian tube is inflamed and smaller, I need to wait for it to get bigger again. Is that right?

The short of it is, tomorrow evening I have an important event to attend and my priority is simply to be able to hear as best I can. What do you suggest please?