Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

My son is 2 in December, I recently took him into hospital

My son is 2 in December, I recently took him into hospital for a fever that had lasted 7days , a rash over his trunk and face and have swollen red eyes. They put it down to a viral infection but found on the blood tests he has severe neutropenia with the count being 460 out of 1000. They sent him home and said he has to have blood tests in 2 weeks after he’s recovered from the virus and have them weekly for 3 weeks and see if the neutrophil count recovers if not he’ll be referred to a haematologist. They didn’t explain very well what this could all mean and it’s been over a week now and my son is still very unwell. Could you help at all?
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eye itchy?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 14 years of experience in the field of Pediatrics at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

I am typing some questions.

1. Which day of fever is this?

2. What is the maximum recorded temperature please?

3. How is the activity of the kid when the fever touches the baseline?

4. Is there any rash over the body?

5. Is there any decreased oral intake?

6. Is the kid dull when in high grade fever and playing around when the fever touches the baseline?

7. Are there any seizures?

8. Is there any respiratory distress or fast breathing and difficulty in having food?

9. Has he ever been recurrently hospitalized before this for any illness?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Fever started on the 1st of October, it’s spiking up and down. Highest being 39.2. He’s very irritable, sleepy , not eating very well. He has a rash over the trunk back and face and neck, they said it was a viral rash. Having sips of water throughout the day, they said he had a slight sore throat so gave a difflam spray. No seizures. No fast breathing , never been hospitalised before. Does suffer with development delay, no communication or speech. And has a larger head than normal
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do you have any idea what could be causing him to be unwell and have the severe neutropenia?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can I get a response ?
Did you not get my request to upload the Rash image please?
I am waiting for you to upload the image of the Rash, I am here to help you please.
Please do not worry as such neutropenia can sometimes be caused by viral infection.May I request you to upload the CBC report also... If you have serial CBC reports please upload everything date wise.
Did you get my requests and questions please?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I can’t seem to upload any photos
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Here is on his body
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What is a cbc report ?
The basic blood investigation report which they found out as neutropenia.CBC means complete blood count.I have received some reports please hold on.
I am typing my response please.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Here is the blood results
Thank you for uploading the images and getting back with the information I had requested.From his symptom analysis and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you I feel that what he is having is morbilliform rash which is extremely common in many viral illnesses.It will be very scary to look at but at the same time it will resolve in a maximum of 7 to 10 days.I will explain you how a viral illness behaves so that you can be more confident.Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.Now coming to the component of low neutrophil count it is also extremely common during viral illness like this.Your physician has taken the right option in asking you to reach the report after a couple of weeks please.I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.
A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".
If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -
https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800
There is nothing to worry about this and in all probabilities I feel in a couple of weeks his complete blood picture will be completely normal and you need not worry about this.I have seen many cases like this which were presented with rash like this with low neutrophil count spontaneously improving in a couple of weeks please.
Did you get my response please?

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please?

If I have attended your query to your satisfaction please do remember to rate our interaction with a 5 star rating so that I can get my professional credit.

This is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and effort.

Best regards - Dr Sumanth Amperayani

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

Kind regards - Dr Sumanth Amperayani