How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ben Your Own Question
Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1101
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Ben is online now

I am unsure whether to seek my own ENT specialist as I am

This answer was rated:

i am unsure whether to seek my own ENT specialist as I am suffering with dizziness. My GP has prescribed some medicine but is not sure whether that will help and I cant see how that will be a long term answer
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. When were you prescribed this medication? How severe were any side effects?
Customer: Last week. First time I took the medication was this morning
JA: Have you used anything else for this?
Customer: Gp did the Epley manouevre
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I first reported dizziness about 20 years ago but it didnt bother me much but in the last 18 months it has got more frequent and now it is most days

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

If you have been experiencing these symptoms for 20 years (and most days for the last 18 months) then it is extremely unlikely to be due to Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (the only type of vertigo that the Epley Manoeuvre will help).

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, that is what I was beginning to think. what would you think my best approach is ?

I recommend having an assessment with an ENT specialist (I can give some guidance of course, however a physical examination is required to formally diagnose the cause).

In the meantime, you are likely to benefit from commencing some regular vestibular rehabilitation (Cooksey-Cawthorn) exercises:

Additionally, I would advise you to use any vestibular sedative medication (e.g. Prochlorperazine, Betahistine, Cinnarizine etc.) very sparingly. There is a risk of exacerbating the vertigo with regular use of these medications as a degree of ‘dependence’ develops.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i think it does. thank you

You’re very welcome, all the best.

Dr. Ben and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you