DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I have been on 500mg of valtrex per day for a year and a

Hi I have been on 500mg of valtrex per day for a year and a half for cold sores. I have had no outbreaks whilst on the medication. I wondered whether I should come off the medication?
Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing

Hello! My name is Dr.Ehtisham. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you very much
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I wondered if I did come off the medication, would I immediately start getting outbreaks again?

As you know that it is a suppressive therapy so once you will be off drug there is an increased risk of outbreak

But that does not mean at all that you will get the outbreak the next day

It can even not occur for years

But there is a slightly increased incidence of outbreak if you will stop taking the drug

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you very much for your advice. Do you believe that it is beneficial for me to come off the medication and have a break from it? Or can I stay on it without problems?

Usually it is a safe drug and can be taken for a long time without any drug related side effect

But if you want to give a break there is no harm in it

If done please leave a 5-stars rating to give me credit for my service

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sorry I have one more question. If I do not give a break is there a chance that I could become immune to the medication/ develop an allergic reaction?

After using it for more than a year it is unlikely to get an allergic reaction now

You are welcome

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you so much! But in terms of immunity? The longer I stay on the medication would it effect the chance of me becoming immune to the medication?

Immune suppression is usually not commonly observed with long term use

So you will be fine

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you very much! I will leave feedback now. Have a good day