Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I've had a tickle in my throat for the last 24 hrs. It's

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I've had a tickle in my throat for the last 24 hrs. It's making me cough all the time. Have had no sleep. Went to the doctors yesterday morning and he gave me anti biotics and cortisone. How long do these usually take to start working? Don't know if it's relavent but had my flu jab on Mondah. For the first time had a reaction. About4 hours later started shaking very badly and was freezing cold. Only lasted less than 2 hours. Thank you
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about the flu?
Customer: Yes, he said it was just a reaction. Am not hot or feel in in any other way.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about the flu?
Customer: Am I answering in the wrong order....yes Doctor said it was just a reaction.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing to do with my throat. I was on a Clinical Trial called the Zephyr which put valves in one of my lungs to help me breathe. It's been a great success and my lungs are clear. He checked them.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 3-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No, can't afford phone call.

If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger.

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
OK

Your symptoms and cough are most likely due to the post nasal drip. It is also called as Chronic Upper Airway Cough Syndrome Secondary to Rhinosinus Diseases (Postnasal Drip Syndrome). The pathogenesis of this cough is the mechanical stimulation of the cough reflex in the upper airway. The clinical presentation is a combination of any of the following;

1) a sensation of something draining into the throat,

2) a need to clear the throat,

3) a tickle in the throat,

4) nasal congestion, or

5) a nasal discharge.

The treatment is;

1) nasal saline spray; do not need a prescription for it.

2) nasal corticosteroids / nasal cromolyn / nasal antihistamines may also be needed,

3) oral leukotriene inhibitors and

4) oral antihistamines; you may try Claritin D which is over the counter

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you. Will read through them and see what's best for me. Jayne

You are very welcome, Jayne.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.