How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 12366
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now

A few times ive had intense burning pain from my vagina, it

Customer Question

hello, a few times ive had intense burning pain from my vagina, it makes me feel like i need to pee constantly and i only feel moderately comfortable on the toilet. when this happens i sit on the toilet for hours and often small bursts of urine will come out over time. sometimes the pain is more intense and when i push to pee, small amounts of stringy blood comes out when i wipe. i have had this before at least 2 or 3 times and the first instance i can remember i went to a and e, they took a urine sample which had no noticeable signs of a uti, and they reffered me to the sexual health clinic where i got more tests but was clear of utis, stis amd pregnancy. what should i do this time?
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you had the pain? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: each time it can last for maybe a few hours or a few days. this time it has been 3 or so hours. i have taken paracetamol which has helped in the past, but not very effective this time
JA: Have you seen a doctor about the pain?
Customer: not since a and e and the sexual health clinic
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: not that im aware of or can think of
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

You may have a condition called interstitial cystitis, which is poorly understood, but causes vaginal and urinary burning and pain. It's not easy to diagnose or treat, and we don't kknow what causes it, but it's not an infection.

I would recommend that you see your GP and get a referral to a urologist. The diagnosis is usually made by a cystoscopy, where a scope is inserted through the urethra under anesthesia. Once the diagnosis is make, there are several possible treatments, which are usually helpful. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you, ***** ***** hopeful, i will do this!
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.

You're very welcome.

Please click the rating stars. Thank you.