DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I’ve just been to the doctors and they’ve diagnosed me with

Hello. I’ve just been to the doctors and they’ve diagnosed me with tonsillitis. I’ve been given penicillin and I’m sure the doctor said take 2 a day for 10 days. However when I picked up my prescription, I’ve been given 80 tablets and it says 2 to be taken every 6 hours. I’m now confused how I’m supposed to be taking my course of antibiotics. Is it 2 tablets and then another 2 tablets every 6 hours, even into the night, or just 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening?
Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Hello. I’ve just been to the doctors and they’ve diagnosed me with tonsillitis. I’ve been given penicillin and I’m sure the doctor said take 2 a day for 10 days. However when I picked up my prescription, I’ve been given 80 tablets and it says 2 to be taken every 6 hours. I’m now confused how I’m supposed to be taking my course of antibiotics. Is it 2 tablets and then another 2 tablets every 6 hours, even into the night, or just 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening?
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No. I just want to understand how to take my course of antibiotics

Hello! My name is Dr.Ehtisham. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Can you please tell what strength of Penicillin you have been given?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
250mg

Thanks for the details

The adult dose of Penicillin is 500 mg every 6 hourly

So I will agree that you have to take two tablets 6 hourly

Taking one tablet every 12 hourly will be an under dose and will not be effectively relieving the infection

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Will I have to take them through the night as well if the next 6 hours falls into it?

Usually people take it at 6 am,12 pm,6 pm and 12 am

There has to be a break of 6 hours between doses so you can adjust your timing accordingly

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thank you very much for you help. I’m not confused anymore. Kind regards

You are welcome

If done please leave a 5-stars rating to give me credit for my service