Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I’ve just been on holiday, where I ate clams for the first

Hello. I’ve just been on holiday, where I ate clams for the first time in my life. I don’t normally eat shellfish but had lobster a couple of times during the same week with no apparent issue. An hour after eating the clams a red rash started appearing all over my body, so rapidly that the dit’s joined up and formed extensive red patches. My heart was racing, and on my Apple Watch I measured it go up to 127bpm. Whilst deciding whether to seek emergency help the symptoms began to subside and within an hour the rash was almost gone and heart rate down to 74bpm. The next morning rash was gone and heart rate 64bpm
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Fine, normal resting rate around 64
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, only other allergy is penicillin
Hi. We now know that you are allergic to clams and probably most seafood. That was a definite allergic reaction you had.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, as I expected. Was that a serious reaction, ie if I unknowingly ate something contain8ng shellfish could it be dangerous/ anaphylactic?
You broke out in hives. It wasn’t an anaphylactic reaction or angioedema. Those are very serious more advanced allergic conditions. You need to avoid seafood from now on. Should you eat seafood again the next time could be a severe reaction. Such as anaphylactic shock or angioedema where you can’t breath.