How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 54961
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

My father suffered a heart attack on holiday and suffered

This answer was rated:

Hi my father suffered a heart attack on holiday and suffered hypoxia of the brain he is breathing on his own and his heart I beating his sats blood pressure is good urine output is very good he is in Carlisle hospital in icu dad has been responding to touch and our voices the consultant of the icu does not know which part of the brain is affected ...there is activity in his brain and his spinal cord and brain stem have not been affected I am within my rights to get a second opinion as my dad has only had a c.f. scan
Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: Ct sacn Scan
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I and my family want to give him every chance possible as my dad all his life has never been ill
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
He is 75 years of age never been ill he has only been accessed by a conlsant on the icu dept am I within my rights to request a second opinion and get him transferred to a neroroligist in dad at present is in the vegative state the ct scan did not determine where the brain had been affected I want the best possible chance for my father.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

yes, you can get a second opinion and you should ask for an MRI scan of his brain with contrast which will show the part of the brain injured by the stroke and the extent of injury

CT scans don't show brain injury as well as a brain MRI scan

he is not on a ventilator?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No his off the ventilator

that is good

you should ask for an MRI scan of his brain for him with contrast if possible.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Carlisle hospital aren't giving us much hope I have seen responses from my dad how do i go about getting a second opinion
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Can I go above the consultants head and insist my dad can go to a proper neurologist reabilation centre
You can ask them for a second opinion from another neurologist and ask for a brain MRI scan. let me know if you have other questions. If done for now please leave positive feedback below. You can always reach me as Dr David. Thank you for using
Dr. David and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
If the hospital won't help me and refer my dad to a neurologist how can I go about doing it myself .

you have to find a private neurologist

or have him transfered to another hospital