Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I’m abroad and I’m having symptoms of a panic attack / heart

I’m abroad and I’m having symptoms of a panic attack / heart attack
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: It’s been around 2 days
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Hi. What symptoms specifically are you having? Do you have a history of anxiety or heart disease?
How old are you? And where are you?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi mark. No history whatsoever. I feel faint. Dizzy. Very anxious. Surges of adrenaline. My heart rate is currently resting at 66bpm (Apple Watch). The symptoms have been going on for 2 days and are now getting longer and more severe.

I’m 28. I’m currently in Istanbul.
Yes it does sound like anxiety. I suggest you try Benadryl 25 or 50 mg every 6 hours as needed. You should be able to buy it otc at a pharmacy there. Also a small amount of wine can help relieve the anxiety.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you. I have had some tingling sensations in my hands and occasionally my HR has spiked.

What signs should I look out for if I feel like I’m going to have a heart attack?
You’re not having a heart attack. The tingling is from the anxiety causing hyperventilation. Get some Benadryl and it will relax you.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I’m pretty sure I’m not either, I’ve just never had these symptoms before
A heart attack causes a constant chest pressure. You’re too young for a heart attack. Panic and anxiety commonly cause chest pains. But al of your other symptoms point to this all being anxiety.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Okay thank you Mark.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
How should I monitor my symptoms Over the next few days?
You’re welcome. Feel better. I’d appreciate you rating my answers with the stars on your screen so I receive feedback and credit. Thanks
Start with 25 mg of Benadryl every six hours as needed. You can increase to 50 mg at a time if the 25 isn’t enough.
I think you will find that the Benadryl will calm you . It can also make you a bit drowsy also.