wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

Squeaky noise from eyes when blinking or rubbing and inner

Squeaky noise from eyes when blinking or rubbing and inner corner of eyes hurts.
Assistant: Did you have a recent injury to the eye? How is your vision?
Customer: No, recent eye injury. Your question about eye vision. Is it with or without my glasses ?
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have been going through eye pain since last year around september
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I have head aches last a few seconds to a minute around different parts of my head.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
My one eye feels different compared to the other eye. Like it feels 'lose'. Both eyes hurt.

Hi. My name is Dr Rick, I have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

How old are you?

Do you wear contacts?

Any other symptoms?

Tell me more about the eye pain?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
As I've mentioned above my symptoms. I got told I have bilateral dry eyes.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
But my eyes hurt. Like cornea sting and itch
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Are your eyes meant to hurt when going through dry eyes ?
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I am 22 years old, no I do not wear contacts. Apart from the symptoms I've told you above I get left eye twich sometimes. My check hurts and teeth. Not sure if they affecting my eyes. I have been taking sinus medication to see if it has got to do with sinus infection. No change. But still I'm going through eye pain. More about the eye pain - well the left eye hurts kind of more than right. The top part of the eye hurts like the eye lid part
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Both eye hurts. The inner part of both eyes sting and itch. The bottom lash line itches. Feels like a foreign object in the eyes. The pain is the top. The right eye sometimes has pressure at the top.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
In the inner part of eye I feel pressure.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
My eyes feel different to each other. One eye feels kind of 'loose' and other normal. I think that's how describe it.

Thank you for that additional information.

Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production and the use of a medication called restasis to improve your tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose. If this does not give relief then your eyelid opening can be made smaller with surgery (lateral Tarsorrhaphy).

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it does, indeed, work.

Your twitching is most likely due to Myokymia:

Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.

Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.

The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.

Here is an excellent article on this topic:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1213160-overview

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thank you. This helps a lot. Can I ask about this squeaky sound coming from my eyes ? When I rub or blink I can hear this squeaky sound ?
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Will it go away ?
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Will any of these problems I have go away. ��

This is just from air pockets in the skin around the eye.....it will go away and it is not a sign that anything is wrong.

Make sense?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
What about dry eyes will that ever go away ?
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Do you know how long it will take for this squeaky sound to go away ?
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I've had it for more than a year

The dry eyes can get much better with the home therapy and, depending on underlying issues might be gone forever.....but maybe not :(

Hard to say about the squeaky sounds without an exam

Have a great weekend :-)

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Oh okay. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I hope you have an good week ahead.

My pleasure