Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I have had severe itching for eight years. saw a doctor in

Customer Question

I have had severe itching for eight years. saw a doctor in the usa and he said it was autoimmune disorder. where do I go for treatment in the uk.
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you had the disorder? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: eight years. treated with diet. anti-histamines tablets made it worse
JA: Have you used anything besides the antihistamine for this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: yes. I need to take amphetamines and levodopa but this increases itching. anything that raises my dopamine levels causes itching. but I need dopamine levels raised to function
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 13 days ago.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 13 days ago.

Hello. It is well documented that systemic diseases other than autoimmune disorders can also manifest with chronic itching (pruruitis). Haematological diseases, such as lymphoma, myelodysplastic syndrome and polycythaemia rubra vera, are well known causes. Imbalances in the endocrine or metabolic systems can result in chronic pruritus. Examples include chronic kidney disease, liver disease, hyperparathyroidism, hyper/hypothyroidism and iron deficiency anemia. Infections, such as HIV and parasitosis, can also be responsible for chronic pruritus, as can neurological disease, such as MS and brain tumours. Often overlooked are psychiatric causes for chronic itching, such as depression, schizophrenia, affective disorders and eating disorders. These should all be ruled out, if not already.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 13 days ago.

That said, if an autoimmune disorder is the culprit, it would be helpful to know which one it is. It would need to be addressed specifically by a rheumatologist. In general, autoimmune disorders tend to respond well to steroid anti-inflammatories such as prednisone. While not a great solution long term, they can be very helpful in ramping down the immune system (and the resulting itch) for a week or two at a time. This would be worth discussing with your doctor if you haven't done so already.