Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I’m currently in pain on my left side it’s been building up

Customer Question

Hi I’m currently in pain on my left side it’s been building up for a few weeks now but today it’s very sore ... Iv been trying to phone my Doctors surgery all morning but it’s constantly engaged
Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Since I woke up at 8:30an this morning and it’s most sore when I’m straight but feels a little better when I’m crouched over
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I am asthmatic and on medication for Depression also iv been back and fourth to the doctors for blood tests as iv not been feeling myself lately and iv been struggling with my meds which iv been on for about 20yrs My bloods came bk showing a possible thyroid issue so I had to repeat them and I’m still waiting on my results... my urine tested positive for blood too iv also been on a course of steroids for pains in my chest but now the steroids are finished it’s starting to come back
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 13 days ago.

What are your age and gender?

Where exactly on left side your soreness is located?

Do you have increased urinary frequency, urinary burning, heartburn, diarrhea/constipation, nausea, vomiting, fever, loss of appetite, bloating, gas, burping, tenderness on the abdomen?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am 41 my gender is female I’m suffering from pain in the left side on my tummy and under my rib cage iv had heartburn and burping feeling nauseous ... more trips to the loo.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No it’s fine iv just realised I will have to pay for this I’m on benefits I can’t afford I’m sorry to waste your time Iv misplaced my glasses so srry

Thanks for the additional information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger.

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control, as mentioned.

Your symptoms can be due to;

1) Acid reflux.

2) Gallbladder stone/dysfunctions.

You may do the following;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) losing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato-based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate the head end of the bed by 8 inches.

Following also would be helpful;
Nutrition and supplements;

1) Multivitamins; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.

5) Also, avoid; white bread, pasta, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold-water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil.

Helpful investigations to establish and confirm the diagnosis are;

1) Esophageal manometry; evaluates esophageal motor patterns.
2) Esophageal / Barium swallow
3) Ambulatory esophageal manometry
4) CT scan of the chest.

5) Ultrasound of the abdomen.

6) Upper GI endoscopy.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 12 days ago.

A positive rating would be highly appreciated for my time with you.

You are not charged extra for providing a positive rating.

Just Answer is based on the honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.