wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have Lichen Planus and have read that metal fillings can

Customer Question

I have Lichen Planus and have read that metal fillings can make the symptoms worse. Can I get white fillings on the NHS? I am with an NHS dentist already.
JA: The Dentist can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. Have you had any past tests or treatments related to the fillings? If so, what were the results?
Customer: Not related to my fillings. I was referred to the Macillio Facial dept at Royal Surrey Hospital and am now with Macillio Facial at St Peter's hospital.
JA: Can you see or feel anything else in your mouth that is causing concern?
Customer: Yes I have been diagnosed with Lichen Planus on my tongue. It will be 6yrs in January
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Dentist should know?
Customer: I have asked for all my metal fillings to be replaced with white fillings when I had a private denr
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 11 days ago.

Hi. My name is Dr Rick, I have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 11 days ago.

There is no proof that metal tooth fillings have any effect on lichen planus.
I would strongly consul you to leave things alone.

I fear you will find,after a lot of pain, time and cost to replace your current fillings, your lichen planus will be unchanged.

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have to have three teeth filled which have white fillings so I either pay for more white( which I can't afford as a pensioner) and have been told that as they are rear teeth I have to pay for white fillings again.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 11 days ago.

If you can afford the normal amalgam filling you can go ahead and do that knowing that there is no credible research/evidence that it will affect your lichen planus in any way.

You will be fine.

Make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS