Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

Is Paxil 20mg as strong as Effexor 150mg Antidepressant I’m

Is Paxil 20mg as strong as Effexor 150mg
Antidepressant
I’m worried that this new medication won’t be as effective
The Effexor stopped working after 10years
Female aged 45

Paxil (paroxetine hydrochloride) and Effexor (venlafaxine) are antidepressants used to treat depression.

Paxil is also used to treat panic attacks, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder, and a severe form of premenstrual syndrome (premenstrual dysphoric disorder).

Paxil and Effexor are different types of antidepressants. Paxil is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) and Effexor is a selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SSNRI).

There is a very good chance that if one medicine has stopped working for some reason, the other one will still remain effective,

Please remember to leave a positive rating if you found the answer helpful as this is the only way we are compensated for the time and effort spent answering your question,
You can always get back for any clarifications even after rating me,
Warm regards

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi doctor I’m not on Effexor just Paxil
I am wondering. Will the medication make me want to get out of bed and into life I’m so low at the min

I understand,

What you are asking is that since Effexor stopped working for you, will 20 mg of Paxil now do the job?

And the answer is YES this is certainly possible,

In case you are NOT feeling better, you need to be seen by your doctor again and the dose/ schedule may need to be tweaked

BUT keep the faith, and stay connected with friends and family and do some physical activity - I know all of this sounds like a tall order BUT every little bit helps :)
Warm regards

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I will rate after this question
Please
Will medication help me get out of bed and feel happier again I’ve no interest in anything or life will that improve with medication or am I doomed
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’m on 20mg Paxil 2 weeks ??

YES,

Certainly PAXIL should help you feeling happier and getting out of bed - basically all signs of depression...

PAXIL should be administered as a single daily dose with or without food, usually in the morning. The recommended initial dose is 20 mg/day. Patients were dosed in a range of 20 to 50 mg/day in the clinical trials demonstrating the effectiveness of PAXIL in the treatment of major depressive disorder. As with all drugs effective in the treatment of major depressive disorder, the full effect may be delayed. Some patients not responding to a 20-mg dose may benefit from dose increases, in 10-mg/day increments, up to a maximum of 50 mg/day. Dose changes should occur at intervals of at least 1 week.

https://www.drugs.com/dosage/paxil.html

So in your case a slow hike of the dose should work ... Please consult your doctor for the same,

Warm regards