Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I had an ultrasound regarding a soft lump in my waist, back,

Customer Question

I had an ultrasound regarding a soft lump in my waist, back, love handle area..
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you had the lump? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: Hi. So sorry. I pressed return by mistake and realised my incomplete message had been sent to you. I first noticed a lump, lower/waist lumber, love handle area, around approx 9 months ago but the doctor I saw said she could not feel anything. Over the last few weeks it has grown.I made an appointment to see my my GP whom said on initial inspection at the time round, it is at least 7.5cm long had not seen this before and had no idea what it could be. I saw the ultrasound technician today who said it was so large that the Ultrasound machine could not detect how deep it was, and. I have been advised that U/S can image approx 5cm in depth. It is soft, it doesn’t move, but I have had disc decompression and breast reconstruction using the back muscle to build up the breast. I have a scar which crosses the whole of my back, minus 2cm between where they cut from. It is about 7 cm below my bra line.
JA: What did you discuss at your last visit to the doctor?
Customer: Sorrry pressed return again. Been a frantic and worrying day. So because of the reconstruction:my back is very tight. I asked if it was a hernia (I know it’s rare in the back ) but i the lump pops when I press it. I have a history of cancer (breast cancer 8 years ago) and I told the Ultrasound tech that I was worried. He said in his opinion it was a large Limpona and highly unlikely to be cancerous and in his opinion it was a limpona. He has geeked me in for an MRI but don’t think he has done this as urgent from his answers. Am I being duly unworried or not? Thank you in anticipation. Chris
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I don’t think so. A 2 month premature twin is all I can think of. !!! Sorry not being preciousness can’t think of anything else. I spoke to my dad and he said that he and mum dad were told I may have physical issues cos of the drugs they gave me 49 years ago but NT to note. Sorry
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 14 days ago.

Hello. Were there any worrisome features on ultrasound? These lumps frequently turn out to be lipomas (benign, fatty tumors). But they typically do not enlarge rapidly (over days or weeks) unless one bleeds into it, which is rare. I think an MRI would be very helpful in this case. Ask your doctor if he can have the MRI expedited. If not, and he can get a CT scan sooner, this would also be a reasonable way to get more information.