Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I have had two blood tests for a possible underactive

I have had two blood tests for a possible underactive thyroid. Both results were borderline. Would I benefit from medication for an underactive thyroid in this case, or does borderline suggest that I am fine. My doctor was not very helpful and I am unsure if I should pursue medication or not.
Hi. If you have your thyroid tests I’d like to see them. They can be uploaded. With hypothyroidism the tsh level is elevated. A normal level is up to 4.0 in most labs. Studies have shown that borderline hypothyroid people with levels under 10 can usually be followed without treatment as long as they don’t have symptoms of an under active thyroid.
Are you having symptoms related to hypothyroidism?
If you have no symptoms then you don’t require thyroid hormone replacement now. You can be followed with a tsh level every six months.
Does that answer your question?
I’d appreciate you rating my answers with the stars on your screen so I receive feedback and credit.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful. I do not know the actual tsh levels but I will ask for them.