wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I had a question for a clinical toxicologist relating to a

I had a question for a clinical toxicologist relating to a fume exposure to Molybdenum Disulphide fumes via inhalation (CAS 1317-33-5)
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: It occurred in Nov 2018, hospitalized for 3 days, ongoing symptoms of headache ENT inflammation / pain. Respiratory and Ent investigations inconclusive and no access to outpatient clinical toxicology in Rep of Irl.
JA: What did you discuss at your last visit to the doctor?
Customer: MRI results for Ent and ongoing symptoms ie headache / eye throat and chest discomfort and seeking referral to toxicologist to investigate exposure to VOC’s and molybdenum fumes Ref CAS 1317-33-5.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I’m an airline pilot, exposure occurred in cockpit at engine shutdown, first officer incapacitated / paramedics and doctor attended.

Hi. My name is Dr Rick, I have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

What type of aircraft was this?

Were you in the left seat?

How/why did the fumes get into the cockpit?

What was the measured concentration?

How long were you exposed?

Why did you not go on O2?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It was an Airbus 321, I was left seat ( Commander), fumes were produced by quantities of MolyKote grease, which were used as part of maintenance assembly of air con ducting, between engines / apu and air conditioning packs. A/c was grounded by local air accident investigation unit ( Tenerife island / Spain ) until my company engineers investigation conclusively identified sources and products of causation. This was clearly shown on investigation to be excessive MolyKote grease utilized in air con duct assembly. The VOC’s and molybdenum disulphide characteristics were evident in impact on Flt and cabin crew ie smells and UPRT irritation. Subsequent recurrence of initial effects ie headache / ent irritation not abating.
Concentration was not measured as situation was dynamic and no measuring facility available for bloods / urine / air etc.
I was exposed for approximately 1 hour.
When the event occurred ie coming onto parking stand and configuring A/c for disembarkation, the dynamics did not point towards the fume / smoke sops. Also incapacitated F/o being assisted from cockpit / ensuring 214 passengers and crew were safe to disembark normally rather than emergency evacuation were primary in narrative chronology.
Brian
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
CAS for this product ie 1317-33-5, raises concerns re inhalation due toxicity ?

Brian,

Thanks for those additional details.

How can I be of assistance?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi, well my initial request was for a clinical toxicologist. In Ireland and Uk the access and understanding of ethology re fumes and the impacts is still evolving. So, are you in a position to move the analysis further post my engagement with local respiratory and ent investigations ?
Brian
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Night,
It’s 2 am here and meetings tomorrow, so off to the arms of Morpheus.
Hope you can give some guidance and insights on resolution procedures achievable locally on my issue.
Regards.
Brian

Brian,

Time to hit the hay here too.....I'm in surgery all day tomorrow but should be able to get back online in the afternoon.

drop me a note and let me know when you are back online.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is the query which I raised still active ?

still here....our time zones are off by about 9 hours.....

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Aok, so could you indicate a direction of investigation, as post fume event to molybdenum disulphide fumes, and ongoing respiratory / ent and headaches, which were documented in A&E on three occasions, Respiratory and ENT specialist examinations were inconclusive, and next stage of investigation is unclear ie was there Chemosensory impact on the triageminal nuclei resulting in ongoing headaches and other symptoms as listed in material safety data sheet CAS 1317-33-5. Similar to FAA Aeromedical requirements on ENT / Respiratory and neurological symptoms are licence restrictive on the symptoms listed. Thanks Brian

Why are you needing to research this issue to intensely?

Was your flight status revoked etc?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Suspended, and unfortunately have had to deal with it since the event, I also work with Nsai drafting a new CEN standard on cabin air quality and the medical acute and chronic protocols are being drafted currently.
Either way I’m legally obliged to declare FIT TO FLY or Not, the expertise of medical professionals is essential in that exercise.
So, can you give any insights or guidance ?
Brian

Brian,

Sorry to hear about what is going on.

As you know you are fighting a very difficult uphill battle.

Drafting a new CEN standard and obtaining medical expert input may help those who come after you....but I do not believe it is going to help with your personal situation.
For that you should hire a team of solicitors, give them tons of money, and put them to work getting your flight status back. Of course you are, if you have not already, quickly getting beyond your necessary flight hours, medical exams etc to keep your status....

A nasty catch-22.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Appreciate the guidance and sentiments.

Faint hearts never won fair ladies.

Have a great weekend.

Brian