wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have a leaking abscess Assistant: Have you seen a doctor

i have a leaking abscess
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: they gave me fucidic acid cream but it is burning and gives me fever
Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?
Customer: i don’t have any respiratory symptoms. the abscess is caused by a missed vein when taking recreational drug administered intravenously.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: last time i did recreational drugs was one year ago
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
can i get prescription oral antibiotics such as Flucloxacillin from your service?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I currently have mild fever and since i stopped fucidic acid cream, the abscess is bearable.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
picture

Hi. My name is Dr Rick, I have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

how long has that been present?

Can you feel/express a pus pocket from it?

How old are you?

M/F?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
pus is leaking
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i am male 43
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i do not have any other medical problems apart from gout which is managed by allopurinol which i currently take
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
this is present for over a week now
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
yellow puss is leaking
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
can you prescribe medicine over the phone?

In the photo it looks like a superficial wound with signs of healing around the edges and, maybe, a mild infection vs open area, in one area.

It does not look like an abscess.....

Of course, the best way to know what is going on would be to have your GP take a look at it in person.

Just throwing a random oral antibiotic, without even obtaining a culture to ID any possible infection, is not the way to fix this thing........

So. What should you do?

Stop trying to treat this on your own, especially since you are concerned it is not healing well.

Get into see your GP soon for a good exam and, if indicated, the correct antibiotic..

If you can not get into see your GP for some reason then you may want to head on over to the A&E for a correct diagnosis and treatment

Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Dr. Rick MD FACS